They say chicken soup is good for the soul…well we absolutely happen to agree and this delicious recipe is no exception. This happens to be a family favorite and makes the perfect cold weather comfort food. With the hearty vegetables and the cute little pastina (star) pasta, it’s a winner for everyone. We love to make a big batch so we can have lots of leftovers. The kids love to have this soup in their lunches which obviously makes us happy too! Chicken and pastina soup is super easy to make too.
The list of ingredients is quite simple. You just need carrots, celery, spinach and onion, garlic, thyme, cooked shredded chicken, lime, some herbs de provence, chicken broth and the cute little pastina pasta. If you can’t find the star pasta, you could mix it up with some fun mini alphabet pasta too! The kids loved that when they were younger.
Simply begin by heating some olive oil in a dutch oven or large stock pot over medium heat and then add the onions. Saute for 2-3 minutes. Add in the garlic, carrots, celery, thyme and herbs de provence and saute for another 10 minutes.
Add in the chicken broth and bring to a low boil. Add in the pastina and boil slowly for 6 minutes. Then remove from the heat and add in the shredded chicken and spinach and season with salt and pepper. Add the juice of one lime just before serving. You can also top with shredded parmesan if your heart desires! That just adds another beautiful layer of flavor that we happen to love! We know that you are going to love this recipe. Check out some of our other favorite soup recipes here:
- 1 Tbsp good quality olive oil
- ½ yellow onion, finely diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- ½ C fresh spinach
- 2 tsp fresh thyme
- 2 tsp herbs de provence
- 48 oz chicken broth
- ½ C pastina (mini star pasta)
- 1½ C shredded chicken breasts
- kosher salt and cracked pepper to taste
- juice of 1 medium lime
- Heat olive oil in a dutch oven or large soup pan over medium heat. Add onions and sautee for 2-3 minutes. Add garlic, carrots, celery, thyme and herbs de provence. Sautee for 10 minutes. Add chicken broth and bring to a low boil. Add pastina and slowly boil for 6 minutes. Remove from heat, add shredded chicken and fresh spinach, season with S&P to taste. Add juice of 1 lime. Serve immediately, can add grated parmesan if desired to serve.