Carrot soup may not sound like something to get that excited about, but I’m here to tell you that this soup is definitely something worth getting couch jumping (like Tom Cruise) excited about! Roasting vegetables before putting them in a soup elevates the flavor on every level, it’s a total must.
Can we take a minute to have a little laugh about the carrot with sexy legs in the middle of the pan? Not bad legs for a carrot!!
I began making this soup with the game plan that I was going to just make a straight up roasted carrot soup. It wasn’t until after the carrots were in the dutch oven that I decided to change it up and try putting a Thai spin on the soup by adding coconut milk, fresh ginger and lime. Good decision….just adding those simple ingredients changed everything about this soup. The flavor combos go so well together….like, SO well!
One disclaimer is that my husband and I absolutely LOVED this soup but my kids were not overly excited about it….actually not excited at all. If you asked them how they liked the soup they would probably give it a big thumbs down. With that being said…I shared the soup with a couple of other adults and they were obsessed. My kids are not fans of cooked carrots so it makes sense that they weren’t fans of the soup. So there you go, I guess you can’t win em all!
Once the roasted carrots are pureed with the coconut milk, onions and other ingredients it turns this beautiful shade of orange. Like show stopping shade of orange! Drizzle a little chili oil over the top, a squeeze of lime and some fresh mint and you watch out because you are in for a soup experience!
- 2 lbs carrots (peel top layer with vegetable peeler)
- good quality olive oil
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 1 yellow onion, minced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp fresh ginger, grated
- 3 C chicken broth (can sub vegetable broth)
- 13.5 oz can coconut milk
- juice of 1 medium lime
- kosher salt
- **option garnish - chile oil to drizzle, fresh mint, squeeze of lime
- Preheat oven to 425.
- Cut carrots to even sizes and spread out over parchment lined rimmed baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with kosher salt. Roast for 30 minutes.
- Heat a large dutch oven or soup pan over medium heat. Add butter and a drizzle of olive oil. Once melted add onions and sautee for approximately 10 minutes. Add garlic and ginger and continue to cook for another 2 minutes. Add roasted carrots and chicken broth.
- Use an immersion blender to blend soup until completely pureed. Add coconut milk and lime juice and mix with the immersion blender until incorporated. Season with kosher salt to taste
- Serve with a drizzle of chile oil, fresh mint and an additional squeeze of lime if desired.