Broccoli cheddar soup happens to be a family favorite in our house! This recipe is a total WIN! Our GTK version is lightened up on calories but not on flavor. The other bonus is that this soup is really easy to make. You are going to want to put this one in your rotation…especially now that it’s officially soup season. Well, that’s a stretch in Arizona but we are getting close and we don’t care anyway. We want it to be soup season, so it is!
You don’t even need very may ingredients for this recipe. Just your broccoli crowns, some celery, garlic, fresh thyme, and a little cheese, butter, cream and chicken stock. You might even have a few of these on hand!
Just simply start by cooking up the celery and onions in your dutch oven or large soup pot until the onions nice and translucent. This will take roughly 5 minutes. Then add in the broccoli, thyme and chicken stock and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes until the broccoli is cooked through. Remove from the heat and use an immersion blender or transfer to a blender to puree. If you used a blender, transfer the soup back to the pot and add the cream and cheese and season it with salt and pepper. Yum! You are gonna love this recipe! We just know it!
Check out some of our other favorite soup recipes:
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 1 Tbsp good quality olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 2 celery stalks with leaves, chopped
- 1 head broccoli, cut into florets
- 1 Tbsp fresh thyme
- 32 oz chicken stock
- ½ C cream
- ½ C grated cheddar cheese + more for topping
- kosher salt and ground black pepper to taste
- Heat a large dutch oven or soup pan over medium heat. Add butter and olive oil. Add onions and chopped celery and sautee for 5 minutes until onions become transluscent.
- Add broccoli, thyme and chicken stock and bring to a boil. Reduce to heat to simmer, cover for 10 minutes until brocolli is cooked through.
- Remove from heat and use an immersion blender or transfer soup to a blender to puree.
- Return soup to pot and add cream, cheese and season with S&P. Serve immediately