This post was sponsored by S&W Beans as part of an Influencer Activation for Influence Central and all opinions expressed in our post are our own.
Without a doubt, these little street tacos are our new taco obsession! Let’s face it, we’ve never met a taco we didn’t like but some are definitely better than others. Filled with sweet potatoes, black beans, sautéed shallots, cotija cheese, cilantro, pickled red onions and topped with lime crema, they make for the perfect bite every time. Every ingredient that goes into these tacos is healthy, protein packed and full of FLAVOR!
We used S&W Brand of organic black beans in the tacos. We love that S&W offers an entire line of organic beans in all different varieties, aside from the organic and classic varieties they also offer low sodium as well. The S&W beans don’t disappoint, the texture is perfect, unlike a lot of other brands of canned beans that we have used that tend to be mushy. Of course the most important part is the taste, which is on point as well! Canned beans are a staple in both of our pantries because really…who has hours on end to soak and cook beans? Not us and probably not you either! It doesn’t get much easier than popping a can open, draining, rinsing and then adding to your favorite recipe…like these street tacos! One other bonus is that beans are an incredible source of fiber and protein. We use beans in a ton of our recipes from soups, to salads, and sometimes even desserts like black bean brownies…yum! In our opinion S&W offers the highest quality of beans, they have been in the biz for over 120 years so they know what they are doing and it shows in the quality of their products. Pick up a few cans for yourself with this special coupon offer ($1 off 2 cans of beans through April). Who doesn’t love an opportunity to save some dough??
So these delicious and unique tacos are a cinch to throw together, the only cooking involved is steaming the sweet potatoes (super easy) and a 3 minute sauté of the shallots….oh and a quick warming of the corn tortillas. Once the sweet potatoes and shallots are cooked through, add S&W organic black beans (drained and rinsed) cotija cheese, cilantro and lime juice. Mix everything together and pile a heaping tablespoon onto each corn tortilla. But wait…you can’t forget the toppers!!
The pickled red onions and lime crema take these tacos to the next level. You can purchase pickled onions at the store or you can save yourself a few bucks and quickly make them at home with just a few ingredients. Thinly slice a red onion, add to a bowl and pour warm water and red wine vinegar over the top. Stir in a little sugar and season with kosher salt to taste, let stand for at least 30 minutes before serving. Easy peasy! These pickled onions keep really well in the fridge for a few days so we suggest making extra because they are delicious in a salad or on a sandwich too!! You won’t regret having extra left over!
Also the lime crema is not allowed to be skipped either. Greek yogurt, fresh lime juice and salt…that’s it people! These street tacos will not disappoint, and they are made with ingredients that you can feel good about so eat up!
Check out all of the S&W products on their website at:
- 1 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- ½ C warm water
- ¼ C red wine vinegar
- ½ tsp sugar
- kosher salt to taste
- ½ C 0% plain greek yogurt
- juice of 1 lime
- kosher salt to taste
- 2 sweet potatoes peeled and chopped into ½ inch cubes
- 1 C S&W organic black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 large shallot thinly sliced (1/2 C)
- 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- juice of 2 limes + 2 limes to garnish (cut into wedges)
- ½ C chopped cilantro
- ¼ C cotija cheese, crumbled
- 16 mini corn tortillas (street taco size) or 8 corn tortillas
- kosher salt to taste
- Place sliced onions in a medium bowl. Pour vinegar and warm water over the onions. Stir in sugar and season with kosher salt to taste. Let stand for at least 30 minutes before using - can be made at least 2 days ahead.
- In a small bowl add greek yogurt and lime juice and mix. Season with kosher salt to taste.
- Place sweet potatoes in stovetop steamer until tender and cooked through - about 5 minutes.
- While sweet potatoes are steaming, warm oil in a skillet over medium heat, add sliced shallots and sautee 3 minutes until soft.
- In a large bowl add black beans, sweet potatoes, shallots, lime juice, cotija cheese and cilantro and mix together. Place a large spoonful of sweet potato filling on each tortilla and garnish with pickled red onions, lime crema and lime wedges.