Behold our delicious Buddha bowl with herbed yogurt!
Buddha bowls are all the rage lately and for good reason! What’s not appealing about piling your favorite proteins and veggies on top of quinoa, rice or cauliflower rice? Plus it’s fun to say…I mean who names this stuff anyways?? Buddha bowls traditionally are made up of some sort of healthy grain, raw or cooked veggies, a natural fat like avocado, and a protein such as beans or chicken. You really can’t go wrong, you can also pile greens in there like kale or chard. It’s a one bowl meal that is satisfying and will leave you dreaming about what combination you can create for your next bowl.
This buddha bowl we made is literally filled with foods that we had on hand in our kitchen, really no planning was involved with this combination at all. The base is steamed cauliflower rice topped with black beans, chopped avocado, cooked sweet potatoes, cucumber slices, pickled beets and an herbed yogurt on the side. We sprinkled hemp hearts on top to add a mild, nutty flavor. Hemp hearts also have huge nutritional benefits, they are exceptionally rich in omega 6 and omega 3, two essential fatty acids.
There are NO rules with these bowls, just fill them up with your favorite combos. The more colorful the better. Since you’re supposed to eat the rainbow, these little (big) bowls are the perfect opportunity. Snap a pic and show us what your buddha bowl looks like, we would love to see what ingredient combos you come up with!
Check out our favorite pretty breakfast bowl:
- 1 sweet potato
- ½ C sliced cucumbers
- 1 avocado, chopped into cubes
- ½ C black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 C cauliflower rice, cooked
- ¼ C pickled beets - can buy in the grocery store or make yourself. See instructions in notes.
- 2 Tbsp hemp hearts
- ½ C 0% greek yogurt
- 1 Tbsp chopped scallions, green tops only
- 1 Tbsp chopped chives
- 1 Tbsp chopped dill
- 1 small clove garlic, minced
- ¼ tsp ground pepper
- ¼ tsp kosher salt
- Fill a medium saucepan with water and bring to a boil. Add sweet potato, bring to a low boil and cover with a lid for 15 minutes until sweet potato is cooked through. Remove sweet potato and set aside.
- While sweet potato is cooking assemble the herbed yogurt. In a smal bowl mix all ingredients together until incorporated.
- Warm cauliflower rice over the stovetop or in the microwave. While the rice is warming cut the sweet potato into 2 inch slices.
- Line two medium bowls with cauliflower rice. Evenly divide between the two bowls the sweet potatoes, sliced cucumbers, avocado, black beans and pickled beets into sections within the bowl. Add a dollap of herbed yogurt and sprinkle with hemp hearts over the top.