If you have never had wheat berries before, we encourage you to do so! These little gems are not only delicious, but a total nutritional powerhouse as well. They are loaded with protein, fiber and iron and are high in Vitamin E, antioxidants and magnesium. Score! What makes them even more special is that they are unprocessed so they retain more of the nutrition than refined wheat products. Sounds like someone is on a wheat berry high horse right now!! Anywho…This wheat berry salad that you see here with the sweet peaches, feta, arugula and mint would be a great starting point for you for you to give the wheat berry a try! You’ve actually probably had them before like in a whole grain bread and you didn’t even know it!
The inspiration for this delicious salad came about when I smelled these gorgeous peaches at the market. Don’t you always smell your peaches? The really fragrant one’s mean they are super sweet and ready to be eaten. I’ve always got that creative thinking cap on when I want to incorporate a certain something into a meal. Pretty much sums up the fact that I’m always thinking about food huh? Well, it’s true. Please don’t judge.
So for this super simple salad, you start by cooking the wheat berries according to package directions. While those guys are cooking, get going on your vinaigrette. We chose a simple white wine vinegar one for this recipe as it compliments all of these flavors perfectly! Once the wheat berries are cooked, just drain them and transfer them to a bowl, toss them in the vinaigrette so they soak up all that delicious flavor and allow them to cool. Stir all of the remaining ingredients and it’s ready to go! This can be your main dish, or you can serve it with a protein of your choice like grilled chicken or salmon. Enjoy!
- 1 C wheat berries - cooked to package instructions (Once cooked = approx 2 C wheat berries)
- 1 medium peach, pitted and sliced
- ¼ C feta cheese, cubed
- ⅓ C red onion, sliced thin
- ¼ C fresh mint, chopped
- 1 C arugula
- S & P to taste
- ⅓ C white wine vinegar
- 1 shallot, chopped
- 1 tsp sugar
- ¼ C good quality olive oil
- S & P to taste
- Cook wheat berries according to package instructions, 50-60 minutes. While the wheat berries are cooking, add all of the vinaigrette ingredients to a blender or use an immersion blender. Blend until thoroughly mixed, add S & P to taste. Set aside.
- Drain wheat berries and transfer to a medium bowl. Add the vinaigrette and mix with a spoon. Allow to cool to room temperature. Add all remaining ingredients and season with S & P to taste. Salad can be made up to 6 hours ahead of time.
- Serve on its own, as a side salad or alongside a protien such as grilled chicken or salmon.