So a caprese salad has got to be one of the most delicious flavor combinations on the planet, right? We sure think so. And for this recipe, we took the amazing caprese salad and turned it up a notch by roasting the tomatoes first. Roasting tomatoes is such an easy way to magnify their amazingly sweet flavor. Combine that with some fresh basil, creamy avocado, mozzarella cheese and a balsamic glaze and you are totally in business.
Roasting the tomatoes is also a piece of cake! For this recipe we used baby heirloom tomatoes but you can also just use cherry tomatoes. Toss them in a bowl with the olive oil then simply lay them out on a parchment lined sheet pan and sprinkle with kosher salt. Pop them into the oven and let them roast for about 15 minutes. You want to see them get all nice and brown and blistery. They will start to pop open and that’s when you know they are ready! Your kitchen will also smell amazing! Let the tomatoes cool a bit and transfer them to a bowl. Add in the avocados, mozzarella and basil then drizzle with the balsamic glaze and top with some cracked pepper and you are in business! Easy peasy and bursting with flavor. This dish is a beautiful side dish to bring to a party!
Check out some of our other favorite salads:
- 3 C mini hierloom or cherry tomatoes
- 1 avocado, chopped into bite size pieces
- ½ C fresh mozzarella, cubed
- ½ C torn basil
- 1 Tbsp good quality olive oil
- 2 Tbsp balsamic glaze
- kosher salt and cracker pepper to taste
- Heat oven to 425 degrees. Toss tomatoes in olive oil and spread out evenly on a parchment lined sheet pan. Roast for approx 15 minutes until browned and blistery.
- Transfer tomatoes to a serving bowl. Add chopped avocado and mozzarella. Top with torn basil, drizzle salad with balsamic glaze and season with S&P. Serve immediately