Chicken tortilla soup is quite possibly one of the most delicious soups ever! That is a very bold statement, I know, but it’s actually true. This recipe has been a staple in our family for years. It’s loaded with delicious veggies and is really easy to make. Our GTK version is super hearty and sure to fill you up! Here’s a little secret, it doesn’t have to be cold outside to enjoy soup either. We might say that all the time but when you live in the desert and it’s hot as heck most of the year, you can’t let the weather totally dictate the food you make. It’s soup season dang it! We are just going to crank up the AC, grab a blanket and simmer some yummy soup on the stove top…thank you very much.
Okay, sorry about the rant. I’ll get back to the good stuff here. This chicken tortilla soup is easy peasy to make. We cook our chicken breasts but you could certainly use a store bought rotisserie chicken to save yourself a little time. There is ZERO shame in that. Just cut the breasts up into small bite sized pieces and that part is dunzo! If you are cooking your own chicken, season the boneless skinless breasts lightly with salt and pepper and bake them for about 14 minutes, or until cooked through.
While the chicken is baking, you’ll want to start cooking down the celery and onion just until they are translucent and soft, about 2-3 minutes. Then you add in the garlic and saute for one more minute. Add in the diced tomatoes with juice, tomato sauce and stock. Next, throw in the chili powder, cumin and salt and pepper and cook for 5 minutes. Now it’s time to add the diced chicken, corn, corn tortillas and black beans. Cook for another 10 minutes. The corn tortillas are like a special little surprise in this soup. Anyway, it’s just so good! Before enjoying, load it up with your favorite toppings. We LOVE avocados and fresh cilantro. You could also do some shredded cheese (the hubby and kids are all over this one)…fresh chopped tomatoes, tortilla chips, hot sauce…the list goes on and on. Enjoy!
Check out some of our other favorite hearty soup recipes:
- 2 Boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 14 oz. can diced fire roasted tomatoes
- 1 14 oz. can tomato sauce
- 4 cups low sodium chicken stock
- ⅓ cup onion - diced
- 2 stalks celery - chopped
- 1 clove garlic - minced
- ½ C fresh corn
- 1 can black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 corn tortillas - torn into bite sized pieces
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 425°
- Season chicken breasts lightly with salt and pepper and bake 14 minutes or until cooked through. Set chicken aside to cool then cut into small bite sized pieces.
- Preheat large stock pot on medium high. Heat olive oil and add celery and onion and saute about 2-3 min until translucent. Add garlic, and saute 1 more minute. Add can of tomatoes with the juice and the can of tomato sauce. Pour in the 4 cups of chicken stock. Add in the chili powder, cumin and salt and pepper. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Add diced chicken, corn, torn up corn tortillas and black beans and cook for 10 more minutes.
- Serve with tortilla chips, fresh cilantro, sliced avocado and chopped tomatoes