White bean chicken chili happens to be one of our favorite, easy, one pot meals. Is there anything better than a one pot meal? No. There actually is not. Talk about making life simple. You are going to love this recipe because it’s so darn delicious and easy peasy to make! We’ve been making this white bean chili for years and once you try it, you will likely see why. So, you want to know how to make it happen? Here goes:
Start by heating up a large dutch oven or stock pot over medium heat. Heat up a little olive oil and toss in the onions. Saute them up until nice and translucent and soft. Then add in the jalapeño and garlic and cook for another minute or two. Add in the spices and green chilies, then the chicken broth and stir to combine. Yum. It will be smelling quite nice at this point!
The next step is actually fun! You get to smash the beans! Woohoo! It’s a party going on now. Just smash away! Get out all your aggressions. Okay, this is sad. I will stop. Some of us happen to find joy in the simplest things…or just need to get a life! ha Anyway, you can add the smashed beans to the soup now. They will help to thicken it up and add some great flavor.
Bring the pot to a nice simmer and add the frozen corn and the Greek yogurt.
Turn off the heat and add the shredded chicken, the other can of whole beans, cilantro and fresh lime juice. Season with salt and pepper and serve it up with your favorite fixings. Some salty tortilla chips are really good and of course you could add some sliced avocado because there’s always a place for avocado in this house. We hope you love this white bean chili as much as we do!
Check out some of our similar recipes:
- 1 Tbsp good quality olive oil
- 1 yellow onion , diced
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp cumin
- ½ tsp corriander seed
- ½ tsp chili powder
- ½ tsp paprika
- 1 small can (4 oz.) diced green chilies
- 2 cans (14oz.) white cannellini beans or great northern beans, drained and rinsed
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 C frozen corn
- ½ C 0% greek yogurt
- 4 C shredded chicken
- ½ C cilantro, chopped + more to garnish
- juice of 1½ limes + more lime wedges to serve
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat olive oil in a large soup pan or dutch oven over medium heat. Add onions and sautee until translucent - about 5 minutes. Add jalapeno and garlic and sautee for another 2 minutes. Add spices and green chiles and stir to incorporate. Add chicken broth and bring to a low simmer.
- In a low bowl smash 1 can of beans with the back of a fork. Add smashed beans to the soup and stir to mix - this will help thicken the soup.
- Once soup is simmering add frozen corn and greek yogurt. Turn off the heat and add chicken, remaining can of whole beans, cilantro and lime juice. Season with kosher salt and cracked pepper to taste. Serve immediately with your favorite garnishes.