Tacos tacos tacos….well, we’re at it again with our latest taco creation and it’s the shiz. Our last post we brought you the pineapple salsa. Sound familiar? If you haven’t had the chance to make it yet because you couldn’t find the right dish to pile it on, today we are bringing you that dish. Butter lettuce wrapped fish tacos with the pineapple salsa. Oh yeah baby, we aren’t messing around with this one!
These tacos stemmed from a trip to the grocery store, I was in the checkout line and what did I see on the end-cap just screaming my name? Tajin seasoning, the same stuff that is poured on anything and everything in Mexico. Well duh, kind of a no brainer. Clearly I had to pick up a bottle and get to work on creating a fun recipe. So thank you Tajin chile lime seasoning for being the brainchild behind these tacos.
So my pants were feeing a little extra tight so I thought it was probably best to skip the tortillas and serve these up in butter lettuce cups. I actually really didn’t miss the tortillas and side note…how pretty do these cute little lettuce cups look? If you are feeling the tortillas instead of the lettuce then go ahead and sub in the tortillas. Or you can be like me and convince yourself that since you skipped the tortillas then you should probably reward yourself with ice cream. Yep, I did that …it happens way too often too. Probably the reason why my pants are always tight! Note to self…for not tight pants maybe next time skip the tortillas and the ice cream. Realistically it probably won’t happen but it’s worth a try. Right?
These tacos are so full of flavor, the pineapple salsa mixed with the chile lime flavor of the tajin seasoning is kickin. I love the simplicity of the white fish paired with the bold flavors of the pineapple, chile and jalapeño and finished with a drizzle of lime crema to balance everything out. Pure perfection, all wrapped up in a cute butter lettuce taco. Yum!
- 1 lb white fish like rockfish, mahi mahi, halibut, etc
- juice of 1 lime
- 2 Tbsp good quality olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, pressed
- 2 tsp Tajin seasoning - can find in most grocery stores in the hispanic section
- ¼ tsp ground pepper
- ¼ tsp kosher salt
- 1 head butter lettuce, leaves separated and cleaned
- 1½ C fresh pineapple, chopped
- 1 medium avocado, chopped
- ¼ C red onion, sliced thin and chopped
- ½ jalapeno, seeded and choppped
- ¼ C cilantro, chopped
- juice of 2 limes
- pinch of kosher salt to taste
- ½ C 0% plain greek yogurt
- juice of 1 lime
- kosher salt to taste
- Cut fish against the grain into 2 inch strips. Add fish to a low bowl with 1 Tbsp olive oil and all remaining fish ingredients except for the butter lettuce. Turn to coat evenly. Allow to sit for about 15 minutes.
- While the fish is sitting, fold together all ingredients for the pineapple salsa in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- In a small bowl whisk together ingredients for lime crema and set aside.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add 1 Tbsp olive oil to the skillet. Add the fish, cooking each side approximately 3 minutes until cooked through.
- Lay butter lettuce flat on a plate, top with fish, pineapple salsa and lime crema. Add additional lime juice, cilantro and Tajin seasoning if desired.