If you heart watermelon then you will love this fun spin on salsa. It’s a great way to take a classic salsa and serve it up in a new and refreshing way. We just love using the inner shell of the watermelon as a bowl too, it makes us look waaaay fancier than we really are!
This watermelon salsa is a cinch to make and in no time you will look like the queen or king of Pintrest. Mix together chopped watermelon, cucumber, jalapeño, red onion, avocado and fresh mint. Grate lime zest over the top, add a splash of olive oil, freshly squeezed lime juice and a pinch of salt. That’s it…easy peasy and ridiculously tasty. We served it up with some GF multigrain tortilla chips for the win!
- 3 C seedless watermelon - approx ½ small seedless watermelon
- 1 C english cucumber - skin removed, seeds cut out and chopped
- 1 medium jalapeno, seeded and diced
- ¼ C red onion, sliced thin and chopped
- 1 medium avocado, chopped
- 3 Tbsp fresh mint, chopped
- 2 tsp good quality olive oil
- juice and zest of 1 medium lime
- large pinch of kosher salt
- Cut small seedless watermelon in half. Use a pairing knife to cut around the perimiter of the flesh side of the warermelon; where the red part of the watermelon meets the white. Cut the flesh of the watermelon into quarters and carefully scoop out watermelon. Cut watermelon flesh into smal square size pieces. Use a spoon to remove the remaining watermelon from the inside of the shell, set the hallowed out shell aside.
- In a medium bowl add chopped watermelon, cucumber, jalapeno and onion. Gently fold together with a spoon. Drain any liquid in the bowl.
- Add all remaining ingredients and gently fold with spoon until mixed. Place in the hallowed out shell of the watermelon to serve, or in a bowl. Serve with chips of your choice - we served it with a multigrain tortilla chips.