If you haven’t tried roasted delicata squash, then you really haven’t lived. Well, that might be a stretch…but this variety of squash is pretty unbelievable. Delicata squash is a lot lighter than a butternut or acorn squash and it has a thin, edible skin which tastes fantastic.
Prepping the squash to roast is a cinch, just cut the squash in half length-wise and pull the center seeds and pulp out with a spoon. From there, cut the squash into half circle segments, toss with some olive oil and kosher salt and roast away.
The brown butter sage is a must for this roasted delicata squash and takes just a few minutes to make. Bring butter to a simmer and then add fresh sage leaves, watch carefully until the sage begins to get crispy. There is a fine line between perfectly crispy and burnt. Be careful not to burn the sage!!
One you have perfectly browned butter and crispy sage, it’s time to assemble your dish. Transfer the squash to a serving bowl and pour the butter and crispy sage leaves over the squash. Season with additional S&P to taste and serve it up!
Seriously, this roasted delicata squash is so ridiculously good and easy. You need to add this to your favorites, we are sure you will love this dish!
- 2 medium delicata squash
- 1 Tbsp good quality olive oil
- ⅓ C fresh sage leaves
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter
- kosher salt and cracked pepper
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Cut delicata squash lengthwise, remove seeds with a spoon and discard. Turn squash flesh side down and cut the squash width-wise into ¾ inch slices. Toss squash slices in a bowl with olive oil.
- Line a large rimmed roasting pan with parchment paper. Spread squash out evenly and sprinkle with kosher salt. Roast for 25-30 minutes until squash begins to turn golden brown in areas.
- Remove squash from the oven and arrange on a serving dish.
- Heat butter in a skillet over medium heat. When the butter begins to simmer with white foam add the sage leaves. Use small tongs to flip the sage, watching carefully to not let the sage burn. When the sage becomes crisp immediately remove from heat. Drizzle butter and sage leaves over the squash. Season with additional kosher salt if necessary and cracked pepper, serve immediately.