If you love fried rice like we do, we know you are going to be really excited about this amazing “cleaned up” fried rice recipe. We omitted the rice and subbed in our favorite protein…quinoa! If you are a regular here are Good Thyme Kitchen, you already know how much we love quinoa. If you are new here, well, now you know. We are big fans. Quinoa is so good for you. I’m going to jump on the quinoa high horse for a second so bare with me. It’s just so important that you know why we are such big fans. Quinoa is one of the most protein rich foods you can eat. It contains almost twice as much fiber as other grains (yay for fiber), it has iron, magnesium and and vitamin B. Almost done, it’s gluten free (yup) and is loaded with calcium and antioxidants. Oh, and it tastes awesome!! So, now you know why we are like quinoa cheerleaders.
So, back to the quinoa fried rice…this is so easy to make. The recipe calls for cooked quinoa so unless you have some already made in the fridge, get going on that step first. Just cook it according to package instructions and you are good to go!
Once your quinoa is cooked, start by cooking the eggs in a large skillet over medium heat with a little butter. Transfer to a plate and cut into pieces.
Return the pan to the heat and add in the olive oil. Add in the chopped onions and cook for about 3 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for an additional minute. Add in the quinoa, peas, hoisin, soy sauce and sesame oil and stir fry for about 4-5 minutes.
The final step is to just add in the chopped egg and fresh green onions. Season with salt and pepper if you so desire and dinner (or lunch) is served!
Check out some of our favorite similar recipes:
- 1 tsp unsalted butter
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 tsp good quality olive oil
- ½ medium yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 C quinoa, cooked
- ½ C frozen peas, thawed
- 3 Tbsp hoisin sauce
- 2 Tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp toasted sesame oil
- ¼ C green onions, thinly chopped
- kosher salt and cracked pepper to taste
- Heat butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add eggs and leave flat for about 2 minutes until cooked. Remove from pan, transfer to a plate and cut into pieces.
- Return pan to heat and add olive oil. Add chopped onions and cook for about 3-4 minutes. Add garlic and cook for an additional minute. Add quinoa, peas, hoisin, soy sauce and sesame oil. Sir-fry stirring continuously for about 4-5 minutes.
- Add in cooked egg and green onions, season with S&P to taste. Serve immediately.