**As featured in Scottsdale Health Magazine – December 2017 issue
Okay, so this brussels sprout and kale salad could very well be one of our most favorite salads. We say that all the time don’t we? It’s true though. We just happen to really love salads and brussels sprouts and kale. Wow. That was incredibly profound. Ha. Anyway, we bring you this recipe at the prefect time of year. It makes a fantastic side dish and just screams holiday season with all the delicious ingredients. We love the sweetness of the pomegranates and apples and the crunch of the walnuts. The best news for you is that this salad is also really easy to make.
Simply start by thinly slicing your brussels sprouts. If you’ve never had your brussels sprouts like this before, you are in for a real treat. They are so good! Yum! Next, slice the kale and apple into thin strips. Toss all of the ingredients into a large bowl and get going on your dressing.
The dressing happens to be one of our staples. It’s our favorite creamy red wine vinaigrette and is also used in this mediterranean quinoa salad with red wine vinaigrette which is also really delicious! Anyway, time to get going on the vinaigrette.
You can make the vinaigrette in a blender, use an immersion blender or just shake it up in a mason jar. We like to use a blender as it gives it a nice thick consistency. Just add in all of the ingredients and blend them up! Drizzle vinaigrette over the salad and toss just before serving. Bring this dish to your next party and the guests will be so impressed!!
- 3 C lacinato kale, cut into thin strips
- 1 lb brussels sprouts, sliced thin
- ⅓ C toasted walnuts
- ½ red apple, sliced into thin bite size pieces
- ¼ C fresh pomegranite seeds
- ¼ C blue cheese, crumbled
- 1 Tbsp dijon mustard
- 1 Tbsp 0% greek yogurt
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 Tbsp honey
- 3 Tbsp good quality olive oil
- 1 clove garlic chopped
- pinch of salt and pepper
- In a large salad bowl add kale, brussel sprouts and top with remaining salad ingredients.
- Add salad dressing ingredients to a blender or use an immersion blender to blend ingredients.
- Drizzle vinaigrette over salad and toss,