In our last post we shared our lemon kale pesto…so naturally, we had to bring you a mouth watering dinner to smother the pesto all over. We are both pretty mush obsessed with all types of pesto, not just because of the amazing flavor combos you can create but also for the fact that pesto goes so well with so many different things. We are excited to bring you this recipe that we have created using our lemon kale pesto with pasta and seared shrimp. Yum! You are going to love how easy this one is to make.
We know you read our last post and already made your kale pesto so now you get to use it! Ha! If you haven’t made it, the ingredients and directions are included in the recipe below!
For the pasta, we used Tresomega quinoa spaghetti. We love this pasta because it’s gluten free, low in fat, high in fiber and easy to digest! It’s also an excellent source of protein, loaded with minerals and really easy to cook. This pasta is the prefect choice for this hearty but not heavy dish! So during the last 5 minutes that the pasta is cooking, you can sear up the shrimp.
You can purchase the Tresomega quinoa pasta at Tresomega.com, amazon.com, walmart.com and Sams.com
Shrimp seemed like the perfect choice to smother with the kale and pair with the pasta. We simple seasoned with with salt and pepper and seared it in our grill pan. Let it get a nice golden brown color and set it aside. Be sure not to over cook it! It only needs about 2 minutes on each side.
Drain the pasta but be sure you reserve about 1/4 cup of the pasta water. Toss the pasta with the kale pesto and slowly add in a small amount of the reserved pasta water to thin it out. Transfer to a plate, season with fresh lemon juice then top with freshly chopped parsley and lemon zest.
For more information on the Tresomega brand, check out their website and social channels:
- 8oz Tresomega quinoa spaghetti
- ½ lb large shrimp, deviened and shelled leaving tails intact
- 1 Tbsp good quality olive oil
- ¼ C reserved pasta water
- ⅓ C lemon kale pesto (see ingredients below)
- ¼ C italian flat lead parsley, chopped
- zest of 1 medium lemon
- juice of ½ medium lemon
- S&P to taste
- 1 medium bunch lacinato kale, stems removed
- ⅓ C toasted walnuts
- 2 cloves garlic
- juice of 1 lemon
- zest of 1 lemon
- ⅓ C grated romano cheese
- ½ C good quality olive oil
- ¼ tsp kosher salt
- ¼ tsp cracked pepper
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add kale and remove with tongs or a slotted spoon after 30 seconds, transfer immediately to a bowl of ice water. Drain and dry kale on paper towels.
- Using a food processor, add kale, walnuts, garlic, lemon juice and zest and romano cheese. Pulse until combined. With the food processor running drizzle in the olive oil, add in S&P. Pulse, stopping to scrape down sides with a spatula until fully incorporated and broken down. Set prepared lemon kale pesto aside.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add spaghetti and cook 10-15 minutes until a dente.
- During the last 5 minutes that the spaghetti is cooking heat a grill pan over medium-high heat. Toss shrimp in olive oil and season with S&P. Sear the shrimp for about 2 minutes per side until golden brown.
- Drain pasta, reserving ¼ C of the water. Toss pasta with lemon kale pesto, slowly add in the reserved water making sure you dont add too much. Season with S&P to taste. Add shrimp, squeeze lemon juice over the top and garnish with chopped parsley and lemon zest. Serve immediately.