It’s a classic for a reason, and sometimes you don’t need a reason to have a good old fashioned tuna melt. Of course in true GTK fashion we lightened up the tuna and used whole grain english muffins. Even though we lightened up this classic recipe, you will love it just the same…or hopefully more!
There is something about a chilly winter day (or at least chilly for AZ standards) that makes me crave a tuna melt. Like I have to have one, can’t wait a day type of craving. You know the type of craving, right? We all get them…or at a least I’m assuming we all get them. I sure hope I’m not alone with this!!
Anyways…I had to have a tuna melt so I made one and it was damn good!!
We lightened up the tuna by using 0% greek yogurt in place of mayonnaise, we also added chopped pickles and celery to add some crunch and finished it off with a squeeze of lime. We love to squeeze fresh lime or lemon juice into our tuna and chicken salad, it adds an unexpected zip.
Tuna melts are just screaming to be dipped in tomato soup, so if you are looking for something to serve the tuna melts with you can’t go wrong with tomato soup. Lucky you, we just so happen to have a recipe for the best tomato soup ever. We suggest you might as well go ahead and make both!!
- 1 can solid white albacore tuna packed in water
- 1 stalk celery with leaves, chopped
- 2 Tbsp chopped dill pickles
- ½ C 0% plain greek yogurt
- juice of ½ lime
- kosher salt and cracked pepper to taste
- 2 whole grain english muffins, cut in half
- ½ C grated sharp cheddar cheese
- Heat oven to broil.
- In a bowl add drained tuna and break apart with a fork. Add chopped celery, chopped pickles, greek yogurt and lime juice. Mix until thoroughly combined. Add S&P to taste.
- Use a toaster to lightly toast english muffin halves.
- Line english muffins on a rimmed cookie sheet or toasting pan. Top each english muffin with equal parts tuna (approx ¼ C per english muffin). Top with equal parts cheddar cheese.
- Broil for 3-4 minutes until cheese is melted and begins to bubble. Watch carefully as not to burn. Transfer to a plate and serve immediately.