These adorable little sliders are not only totally cute, they are also so unbelievably good! You are seriously not going to believe how delicious these guys are. I swear, because they are grilled, they are almost like an actual juicy burger. They have this amazing char on them, and the balsamic marinade gets all yummy and carmalized when they are cooking. Top them off with a slice of havarti cheese and then you add the beautiful heirloom tomato and the butter lettuce…WOA..watch out!! Holy Yum! Okay, I feel better now. Thank you for allowing me to let my guard down and get a tad ridiculous about a mushroom burger. Geez. I might need a new hobby. ha ha
Anyway, as usual, I digress. Back to the real reason you are here. I’ll tell you how easy these sliders are to make. You are so excited huh?
We start by making our favorite dijon balsamic marinade. It’s the bomb and we use it all the time. I’ll share a couple of our other favorite recipes with our “drinkable” balsamic dressings at the end of this post. Be sure to check them out! So, coat the shrooms with the balsamic before you put them on the grill. Make sure to get the marinade on both sides. You don’t have to marinate them for a long time or anything. This is a quick process.
We used a grill pan for these guys today because the backyard grill is currently out of commission but you can grill them however you’d like. Inside or outside, doesn’t matter to us! We are all about kitchen freedom here. Live it up! So grill the mushrooms for about 5 minutes on both sides until they are soft in the middle. If you use a grill pan, you might need to put a cover over the top during the last minute or so to ensure they cook through. Once cooked, place the cheese slices on top of the shrooms and let it get all melty.
If you are feeling fancy, you can toast the buns (ha ha, toasty buns) in a skillet with a little butter which is a delightful addition to this recipe but certainly not required. We will tell you that we do that part though. It’s just too good.
Here are a couple of those other recipes we promised with balsamic dressing. Search the site for even more!
- ¼ C balsamic vinegar
- 3 Tbsp dijon mustard
- ¼ C olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 small portabella mushrooms
- 6 small slices havarti cheese
- 6 slider buns
- 2 beefsteak tomatoes, cut into ¼ inch slices
- 6 butter lettuce leaves
- In a medium bowl add add balsamic vinegar, dijon, olive oil and garlic and whisk together until combined. Remove stems from mushrooms and line on a plate. Brush balsamic marinade on both side of mushrooms . Allow to marinade for at least 15 minutes.
- Heat a bbq or indoor grill pan to medium-high heat. Grill mushrooms for approximately 5 minutes per side, melting havarti cheese over the mushrooms for the last minute or two of cooking. Optional - toast slider buns the last two minutes on the grill.
- Arrange sliders with lettuce, portabella mushroom and tomato slices on the bun. Serve immediately.