We created this salad with the mindset of trying to get our kids to eat more salads. Soo….how do you accomplish that? Pile taco ingredients on top!! While you’re at it, throw some veggies in with the taco meat…they won’t even know the difference. We added chopped red bell peppers to this batch but we have also added zucchini which is equally as good.
Luckily, both Courtney and I both have good eaters in our house. Although, like any kids; if they had their choice they would eat mac and cheese and chicken nuggets every night! Since that’s not happening we try to always think of creative ways to get extra veggies into their diet.
Since tacos are always a huge hit, why not make a taco salad? You can either serve this salad deconstructed like the picture below, or we found these cute taco shell bowls which make eating a salad fun…plus the bowls look cute in pictures!
We made a healthy dressing with greek yogurt and salsa and a few other ingredients. If you are a fan of ranch dressing, that would also taste pretty spectacular on the salad too.
The struggle is real when you are trying to make a healthy dinner to please kids and adults. We don’t always win that battle, but everyone definitely left the table happy in my house after they ate this taco salad!
Check out some of our other favorite hearty salad recipes below:
- 1 Tbsp good quality olive oil
- ½ yellow onion, minced
- ½ red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 lb lean ground turkey
- 1 Tbsp chili powder
- 2 tsp paprika
- 2 tsp cumin
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- ¾ C chicken broth
- 2 roma tomatoes, chopped
- 1 medium avocado, chopped
- ½ C sliced black olives
- 2 C romaine lettuce, chopped
- ½ C sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 4 corn tortilla salad bowls - can also use regular taco shells or just assemble as a salad
- 1 clove garlic, pressed
- ¾ C 0% Greek yogurt
- juice of 1 lime
- ½ tsp chili powder
- ½ C salsa
- kosher salt to taste
- Heat olive oil in a large sautee pan over medium-high heat. Add onions and red peppers and sautee for 5 minutes. Add garlic and sautee for another minute. Add ground turkey, use a spatula to break apart the turkey while cooking. Sautee until cooked through.
- Add spices, salt and chicken broth, stir and bring to a simmer. Allow to cook down for about 15 minutes.
- While turkey is cooking assemble the remaining salad ingredients.
- Add all ingredients to a blender or use an immersion blender to blend until smooth.