When most people think of potato salad they imagine the creamy, mayonnaise based potato salad. Personally that’s not my jam, not much of a mayo girl to be honest. This is more of an Italian style potato salad, I grew up eating this and in my opinion it blows the mayo potato salad out of the water. I realize I’m probably just slightly biased considering how I feel about mayo, but oh well! You will never know unless you try it for yourself.
This is an easy potato salad to put together, it requires boiling potatoes and green beans, mixing up a dijon vinaigrette and cooking some baby bell peppers on the grill. In the past I had never added peppers, but we decided to kick this up a notch by adding the grilled peppers and I’m so glad we did…I will never make this potato salad without them again!
Once the veggies are cooked just toss with the dijon vinaigrette and season with kosher salt and cracked pepper. It’s makes a great side for a get together or to bring to a party. We also love to make it on a Sunday so we can munch on it all week. So it’s time to ditch the mayo potato salad and give this a try. Let us know what you think!
- 1 package tricilor mini bell peppers - the grocery store sells them pre-bagged
- 1 Tbsp dijon mustard
- 3 Tbsp white balsamic vinegar
- 3 Tbsp good quality olive oil
- 1½ lbs red-skinned potatoes, halved - may need to quarter the larger potatoes.
- ½ lb fresh green beans, trimmed and cut into 1" pieces
- ½ C roasted peppers, chopped
- S&P to taste
- 1 small shallot, chopped
- 3 Tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1 Tbsp dijon mustard
- ⅓ C good quality olive oil
- Heat the bbq on high.
- Heat a large saucepan of salted water to boil.
- Cut mini bell peppers in half, remove stems and seeds. Rinse and pat dry.
- Add dijon, balsamic and olive oil to a medium bowl and whisk. Add cut bell peppers and stir to coat with marinade. Season with S&P.
- Place peppers skin side down on grill and cook for approximately 10 minutes until soft and slightly charred on the skin side. Set aside to cool.
- Add potatoes to the pot of boiling water and set the timer for 8 minutes. After 8 minutes add the green beans and set the timer for an additional 4 minutes. Drain potatoes and green beans into a collander. Allow to cool for about 10 minutes. Add potatoes, green beans and roasted peppers to a bowl, add vinaigrette and stir to coat. Season with S&P. Be careful not to break up the potatoes when stirring. Serve immediately or refrigerate and serve.
- While the potatoes and green beans are cooking assemble the dressing. Add all ingredients to a blender and blend in high for about 30 seconds.