We are seriously in love with these cute cakeless cake pops! Not only are they just too cute, but they are actually made with healthy ingredients!! So fun! The kids and hubby all freaked out when these guys were recently recipe tested so we can assure you that these will be a big hit. You don’t even have to tell the “people” that they are actually made with dates and almonds because they won’t know or care. They are covered with chocolate and fun sprinkles so that’s really all the kids see anyway right? These are so perfect for Valentine’s Day but think about the endless possibilities here…just change the cute sticks and sprinkles and they will be perfect for whatever event you are celebrating! The other best part is that in true GTK fashion, they are easy to make. You don’t even have to bake these pops! Winning!
Just mix up all the ingredients in a food processor and roll into balls. Freeze them for about a half hour so they are firm. Then you get to cover them in chocolate. We did both dark and white chocolate because we love them both and well, they look super cute that way but you can choose one or the other if you prefer. Have fun with this. Let the kids help too! (or don’t if you don’t want them to know they are not really cake!) Ha.
Once you coat them with the chocolate, cover them with your favorite sprinkles. You’ll want to do that part right away while the chocolate is still warm so you need to have all of your supplies out and ready for Go time! We hope that you enjoy these fun treats as much as we do!
- 16 medjool dates, pitted
- ½ C almonds
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 Tbsp pure maple syrup
- ¼ C cacao powder
- pinch or kosher salt
- 2 tsp coconut oil
- ½ C dark chocolate chips
- ½ C white chocolate chips
- 14 cake pop sticks
- sprinkles of your choice - can also use chopped nuts, coconut flakes, etc)
- Add dates to a bowl and cover with hot water. Allow to soak for at least 10 minutes.
- Using a food processor pulse almonds until ground. Add vanilla, maple syrup, cacao powder, dates and salt. Pulse until completely incorporated and dates are broken down. Stop occasionally to scrape down the sides with a spatula.
- Roll dates into balls and line them on a parchment or wax paper lined pan. When rolling the date mixture wet hands with water, otherwise the mixture will stick to your hands.
- Freeze date balls for 30 minutes. Add dark chocolate chips and 1 tsp coconut oil to a small bowl. Microwave for 30 seconds to 1 minute, stopping to stir so chocolate doesnt burn. Remove half of date balls from freezer, insert cake pop sticks into each ball. Dip ball into chocolate until coated, may need to use a teaspoon to help coat the ball. Quickly add sprinkles or desired topping. Place on wax lined pan and return to freezer for 10 minutes to set. Repeat process with the other half of date balls with white chocolate/coconut oil.