The Cobb Salad is an absolute classic and we couldn’t be more thankful for this beautiful creation. It’s funny because, as I was writing this, it made me curious as to where the Cobb salad actually came from. So, naturally, I had to google to find out more. This kind of stuff fascinates me. Is that sad? Have I nothing better to do? Possibly. But Kari and I have already told you that we are obsessed with all things food and I guess learning about the origin of recipes is part of that obsession. Don’t judge. Anyway, a quick “high level” overview for you…just in case you are not quite as interested as me. The Cobb is an American garden salad that mainly consists of lettuce, tomato, bacon, hard boiled egg, avocado, chicken, blue cheese and a red-wine vinaigrette. (We already knew that part, right?) It’s believed to date back to the 1930’s where it was served at the Hollywood Brown Derby Restaurant. The restaurant’s owner was named Robert Howard Cobb. Wow! Cool huh? Now we know something new. I figured it was a salad that has been around for a very long time and I was right. I feel so much better now. Bottom line, it’s one of our favs at GTK and we love how easy it is to make!
We like a traditional Cobb salad and therefore have all of the typical ingredients in this recipe. We did however, use turkey bacon instead but that’s just a personal preference to cut down on the calories but not on flavor! We served this one with some delicious asparagus on the side because, why not?
This Cobb salad is easy peasy to assemble. The motivation for having it this week is due to food prep! You know how big we are on our food prep right? Well, we already had the hard boiled eggs and the chicken prepared…after that, it’s a cinch!
We know you are going to love the red-wine vinaigrette too. It’s tangy and delicious and pairs perfectly with this dish! Make extra vinaigrette to use again later! You’ll be so happy you did!
Check out some of our other delicious salads:
- 6 heaping cups romaine lettuce
- 2 hard boiled eggs, cut in half - lengthwise
- 1 avocado, chopped into large chunks
- ¾ C rainbow baby hierloom tomatoes, halved
- ¼ C blue cheese, crumbled
- 2 pieces cooked turkey bacon, chopped
- 1 C chopped cooked chicken breast
- kosher salt and pepper to taste
- 1 Tbsp dijon mustard
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 3 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 Tbsp honey
- 4 Tbsp good quality olive oil
- 1 clove garlic chopped
- Add all ingredients to a small bowl and whisk until combined. Set aside
- Spread lettuce out on a large flat platte or low salad bowl. Arrange remaining ingredients over the lettuce (either mixed - as pictured, or in strips)
- Drizzle salad with red wine vinaigrette or serve on the side.