Growing up, did you ever have that chicken broccoli casserole with white rice and condensed soup? Yep, we did too and as kids we sure loved it but times have changed and so have we. However, we absolutely still do have the occasional craving for a deliciously hearty warm, comfort food dish. Well, if you can relate, you need to look no further as we are introducing you to our new favorite! This chicken broccoli bake is made with quinoa instead of rice and we swapped out the condensed soup and added in some milk and Greek yogurt. Winning!!
Simply begin by heating up a large skillet over medium-high heat and melt the butter. Add in the shallots, garlic and fresh thyme and saute them together for about 3 minutes. Add in the wine (because, duh!) and cook for another minute bringing the flavors together. The smell is outa this world! Yum! Whisk in the flour until it’s nice and smooth, then you can add in the evaporated milk and chicken stock and bring it to a simmer. Add in the broccoli and cook for about 3 minutes.
Add in the quinoa, chicken, yogurt and half of the cheese. Stir it all together so the cheese gets all melty. I know…it’s going to be so good!! You can’t wait for this new take on chicken broccoli casserole. We felt the same way when we were making it. Season with salt and pepper.
Pour the mixture of chicken broccoli into a casserole dish and top with the remaining cheese. Pop it into the oven and let her go for about 15 minutes. Then, switch you oven to broil and watch it carefully as the cheese gets all golden and bubbly. Perfect! You can take it out now….
Go ahead, tell everyone that dinner is ready and just watch their faces light up as they take their first bite!
- 1 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 large shallot, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp fresh thyme
- ½ C dry white wine
- 1 Tbsp flour
- 12 oz can evaporated milk
- ½ C chicken stock
- 2 C broccoli florets, cut small
- 2 C cooked quinoa
- 2 C grilled chicken breast, cooked and shredded
- 1 C 0% greek yogurt
- 1 C gouda cheese, grated
- kosher salt and cracked pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Melt butter, add shallots, garlic and thyme and cook for 3 minutes. Add wine and cook for an additional minute. Whisk in flour until smooth. Add evaporated milk and chicken stock and bring to a simmer. Add broccoli and cook for 3-4 minutes. Add quinoa, chicken, yogurt and half of cheese and stir until combined and cheese is melted. Season with S&P to taste.
- Add mixture to a casserole dish. Sprinkle the top with additional cheese. Bake for 15 minutes. Turn oven to broil for 3 minutes or until golden brown. Watch the casserole carefully on broil to make sure it doesnt burn. Remove from oven and allow to cool for a few minutes before serving.