It’s Greek night at our house tonight and we are serving up the tzatziki with pita from our post a couple of days ago and these grilled lemon chicken kabobs. I’m also going to whip up our GTK Greek salad to complete the meal (search Greek salad for recipe).
We have friends coming over and they LOVE Greek food, I think they are going to be pretty happy when I tell them about the menu. Everything on the menu can be prepped ahead of time so you don’t have to stress when your guests arrive…and the ahead of time prep is minimal. If you read our tzatziki blog post you will know that it only takes 10 minutes to throw together. It’s actually better if you make the tzatziki ahead of time to give the flavors a chance to blend together. Once you have the tzatziki made it’s time to marinate the chicken. Cut in kabob size pieces and marinate in a ziplock bag with lemon juice, garlic and olive oil . When your guests arrive simply thread the chicken on skewers, season with S&P and grill. While the chicken is grilling you can quickly make the tomato salad, which takes 10 minutes as well. Serve with a side of pita and your meal is complete, Greek night made simple!
- 1.5 lbs chicken cutlets, cleaned and trimmed and cut into large bite-size pieces (big enough to fit on a skewer)
- 6 cloves garlic - smashed with the back of knife
- 2 large lemons, quartered
- S & P
- ¼ C olive oil
- 6 metal skewers - can also use wood skewers
- 2 C 0% Greek yogurt
- ½ English cucumber
- 2 Tbsp fresh squeezed lemon juice
- zest of 1 lemon
- 2 Tbsp chopped dill
- 1 clove garlic, pressed
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- In a large ziploc bag place trimmed and washed chicken, garlic and olive oil. Squeeze the juice of the quartered lemons into the bag and put the lemon in the bag as well. Seal and place in the refrigerater for at least one hour to marinade.
- Remove chicken from ziplock bag. Skewer chicken pieces making sure not to pack chicken too tight together on the skewers. Season with S & P. Cook chicken on the bbq or on an indoor grill pan for about 3-4 minutes each side until chicken is thoroughly cooked through.
- In a medium bowl add yogurt. Using a box grater, grate the cucumber. Squeeze excess juice from the grated cucumber with a thin dish towel, cheesecloth or with your hand. Add the cucumber and all remaining ingredients to the yogurt. Mix to incorporate all ingredients. Best served chilled.