Okay this might have to be one of the cutest and easiest summer treats! Why is it that everything is so much more fun on a stick? We don’t know but these chocolate covered bananas are no exception! I was looking for a fun new idea for a quick cool snack for the kids (and maybe myself too) and since I just happen to love chocolate covered bananas, I thought they were the perfect answer. Actually, I love chocolate covered anything but this was my attempt to make it a healthy snack!
It doesn’t get any easier to make these either. Just find some dowels or wooden skewers, cut the bananas in half and insert the stick about 3/4 of the way up the banana. You want it to be strong enough to hold the frozen banana with all the chocolate and yummy stuff on it.
Melt your favorite chocolate (we happened to have both milk and white on hand so we did both). Mix the melted chocolate with a little coconut oil to make it nice and smooth and just dunk those bananas into it. Use a spoon if you need to get the chocolate all over the banana and use the back of the spoon to smooth it out. Quickly sprinkle the chocolatey bananas with your favorite toppings before the chocolate hardens. You can use whatever type of topping you like…chopped up nuts, sprinkles or candies. They are ready to eat right away, these treats are delish. We had some happy campers this afternoon!
- 3 bananas
- 6 round dowels - may need to cut in half if too long
- ½ C white chocolate,
- ½ C milk chocolate
- 2 tsp coconut oil
- toppings of choice - sprinkles, chopped nuts, etc
- Peel bananas and cut in half. Stick the dowel through the cut side of the banana until it reaches close to the top without poking it through.
- Freeze bananas on a cookie sheet or cutting board for about an hour.
- Melt chocolate and 1 tsp of coconut oil (white chocolate + 1 tsp coconut oil) (milk chocolate + 1 tsp coconut oil) in two separate microwave safe bowls for about 90 seconds. Remove from microwave and stir until smooth.
- Dip bananas in chocolate, use a spoon to add chocolate to the base of the banana and smooth over banana for an even coating. Quickly sprinkle the topping over the melted chocolate before it hardens and sets. Serve immediately