Sometimes you just crave a really good tuna salad! Well, at least we do and we are thrilled to share this recipe with you. So, there’s the standard or basic way to prepare your tuna but of course at GTK, we don’t really do things the standard or basic way, right? We are always on a mission to clean thing up and add something a little different…but still keeping it simple of course!! We teamed up with Whole Foods to create a delicious tuna salad using their chunk white albacore tuna and we are beyond impressed with the result. It’s light, creamy, fresh and soooo good!
So as usual, instead of using mayonnaise, we use greek yogurt which is loaded with protein and low in fat and calories. You still get that amazing creamy texture but without the guilt. We also like to add a crunch by throwing in some chopped celery…make sure you include those delicious leafy ends as they are full of flavor. Some fresh dill and lemon and the surprise pop of sweetness from dried cranberries brings this delicious salad together perfectly.
Now in keeping with our goal of never being ordinary…look at what we decided to serve this tuna salad in! I mean, does it get any prettier than this? Get over the bread and serve it in a beautiful heirloom tomato or a nice large avocado. Yum! You will be so happy! We promise!
- 2 cans chunk white albacore tuna
- ¼ C celery - diced
- ¾ C nonfat greek yogurt
- 2 Tbs dill - chopped
- 1 Tbs fresh lemon juice
- ¼ C dried cranberries
- 2 Tbs green onion - tops, chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 large avocado
- 2 large heirloom tomatoes
- In a medium bowl, combine tuna with greek yogurt and lemon juice. Mix until well combined. Add the celery, dill, cranberries and green onions and stir. Season with salt and pepper.
- Cut avocado in half and remove pit. Fill avocado halves with large scoop of tuna mixture.
- Using a paring knife, remove stem and core of heirloom tomatoes. Fill with large scoop of tuna mixture.