Is there anything better thank one pot cooking? We think not. Especially on a cold winter day! There is really nothing that sounds better than a big warm pot of turkey veggie chili. At least that’s how we feel. We love this recipe and have been making it forever! This dish is perfect for large gatherings and is the standard go to on game day! After we have it for dinner, the kids actually request it in their school lunch the next day. That is the ultimate. We know a recipe is a success when that happens.
Start by browning up the ground turkey in a large dutch oven or stockpot with a little olive oil. We like to add a pinch of salt and pepper just to season up the turkey while it’s cooking because seasoning is best done in layers. Allow the meat to cook until it begins to brown. Then add in the minced garlic. Cook for about one minute then add in the onions, celery, carrots and bell peppers and cook for about another minute. Add in all of the seasonings, chili powder, cumin, paprika, chipotle chili powder and bay leaves and stir for two minutes.
Now you can add in the tomato sauce, chicken stock and diced tomatoes with the sauce. Stir everything together and turn down the heat to a low simmer for about 15-20 minutes. Now, you can just sit back and enjoy the amazing aroma that is happening in your kitchen. During this time, you can whip up some delicious corn bread or something fun to serve on the side.
We love to put out all kinds of fun toppings to serve with this chili. Some of our favs or shredded cheese, sliced avocado (duh), jalapeños, diced onion or fresh cilantro! Yum! Serve this one up for your next big gathering and you will get to be a guest at your own party! You can do everything ahead of time! Sounds like a Win!!
Here’s another one of our favorite cold weather dishes:
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 3 large carrots - chopped
- 3 large stalks celery - chopped
- ½ large yellow onion - diced
- 1 red bell pepper - chopped
- 1 yellow pepper - chopped
- 1 can white cannellini beans
- 2 cloves garlic - minced
- 1 Tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp chipotle chili powder
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 15 oz can tomato sauce
- 1 15 oz can diced tomatoes with sauce
- 2 Cups chicken stock
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat a large stock pot or dutch oven over medium - high heat and add in olive oil. Add turkey and cook 5 min. While turkey is cooking, season with a pinch of salt and pepper. Once turkey begins to brown, add in minced garlic and stir for 1 minute.
- Add onion, celery, carrots and bell peppers and stir for another minute. Then add in the chili powder, cumin, paprika, chipotle chili powder and bay leaves. Stir for 2 minutes.
- Add in tomato sauce, diced tomatoes with juice and chicken stock. Stir to combine and simmer over medium heat for 15 - 20 minutes.
- Remove and disgard bay leaves prior to serving.
- Serve with toppings of your choice. Sliced avocados, shredded cheese, diced onion, sour cream, fresh jalapenos, cilantro and or hot sauce