My all time favorite muffin without a doubt is lemon poppyseed, especially when it’s finished off with a lemon glaze. We have been talking about making a GTK version of lemon poppyseed muffins ever since we launched our blog and we finally made it happen!!
These lemon muffins are so light and fresh and lemony with the perfect balance of tart and sweet. As with most everything we put together, they are simple to make and don’t require a million ingredients.
If you’re a coffee shop or bakery muffin buyer we are about to save you a few bucks. Make a batch of these muffins and save your pennies. You might even ditch buying muffins all together after you sink your teeth into these beauties.
Whatever you do…Don’t. Skip. The. Glaze!!! Yeah, it’s kinda like the most important part of the muffin. The glaze is epic and it completes the muffin and you aren’t allowed to skip it.
See what I mean??? How pretty do these muffins look all freshly glazed and shiny? They are kinda showing off if you ask me! Add making these to your to do list this week. You may not know it yet but lemon poppyseed muffins somehow make everything better….trust us.
Looking for other yummy muffin recipes? Click on the links below for some of our other GTK favs!
- ½ C coconut oil
- ⅔ C sugar
- 2 eggs, separated
- ½ C buttermilk (can substitute plain Greek yogurt)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 lemons, zested
- 2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice (approx the juice from 1 medium lemon)
- 1½ C flour
- 3 Tbsp poppyseeds
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- ½ C powdered sugar
- 3 Tbsp lemon juice
- ½ tsp lemon zest
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- In a large bowl add coconut oil and sugar, use an electric beater to mix. Separate eggs and add egg yolks (set egg whites aside) and mix.
- In another bowl add flour, poppyseeds, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Mix with a spoon.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet with mixer on low speed. Add in lemon zest, lemon juice, vanilla and buttermilk.
- In a seperate bowl beat the egg whites with mixer until stiff peaks form. Fold egg whites into the muffin mixture.
- Line cupcake liners in a muffin pan. Distribute the muffin mixture evenly between the 12 muffins.
- Bake for 15 minutes until toothpick comes out clean. Cool to room temp.
- Whisk all ingredients in a small bowl. Drizzle a small amount over each muffin.